Green InitiativeTake A Look At The First Step In Our Green Initiative By Learning About Our Electric Bus.
Why Travel By Bus?
Schmitty & Sons is committed to protecting our environment. That is why we have dedicated ourselves to sustainability and green initiatives. Passenger transportation has been proved by numerous studies to reduce carbon emissions. “Each motorcoach has the potential to displace 55 less efficient cars. Motorcoaches are even more efficient than other modes of transportation, twice as efficient as flying. One gallon of fuel can provide more than 200 passenger miles on a motorcoach.” – American Bus Association*
*Many additional statistics are available for this page to show how passenger transportation is more environmentally safe than other transportation modes—source from ABA and UMA.
We are also committed to the exploration and implementation of alternative fuel sources such as electric energy. Schmitty & Sons purchased their first battery-electric bus in 2017. This fully owned and operated bus was the first of its kind in the State of Minnesota.
- Battery-electric school buses are powered through the revolt program, which is 100% renewable energy.
- This vehicle is available for private events at the request of our customers.
- First-ever electric school bus in the State of Minnesota
We are currently dedicated to the expansion of our electric bus fleet. Through our collaboration with local organizations, we have participated in many community events to create awareness of the benefits of fleet electrification and the future of electric technology.
Environmental Building Initiatives
Sustainability is at the forefront of our company mission. We are dedicated to the continued progress of implementing green initiatives to improve our energy usage in our buildings.
- LED lights throughout our building with automatic light controls to reduce energy consumption
- We have established an innovative program solution system for parked outside vehicles to reduce the amount of energy consumed by block heaters
- Reducing energy consumption by over 80% during the winter months
- Recycled fluids are used to produce interior heat for our buildings – all fluids are recycled following EPA guidelines
- We use bio-degradable soaps in all of our vehicle cleanings
Fleet and Operator Emissions Reduction
- Idle reduction policy – to reduce the harmful effects of diesel bus running unnecessarily. This can be tracked through our diagnostic onboard GPS system and vehicle locator to ensure adherence to this policy
- Continual training is provided to our drivers on sustainability initiatives and the expectations of complying with these policies
- Continuously monitoring tire pressure to minimize fuel consumption
- Buses are equipped with SCR systems, which can reduce NOX emissions by up to 90%
“I used Schmitty & Sons for my wedding. They did a fantastic job. I had an issue with another transportation company and I reached out to Schmitty & Sons and they saved the day. They were so helpful and accommodating. They responded to emails quickly and efficiently. They did a great job on the day of and showed up when and where they needed to be. The guests had no issues with any of the transportation. I appreciated not having to worry at anytime about the transportation because they did such a great job!”
“We booked the trolley for our wedding and everyone complimented us on how cool it was. Our driver was very professional and respectful and was there to assist us in any way he could. Thank you!”
“We've worked with Schmitty & Sons for a few years now for annual large events. Their drivers are punctual, friendly, and super communicative. The lead-up and planning is also made easy with their friendly staff. We really enjoy working with them.”
“Efficient, friendly and clean service for our wedding day!! Thank you!!”
“We loved our experience from ease of booking to kind drivers who weren't on time- they were early!! Made our wedding day so seamless! Our bridal party loved the trolley and our guest had so much fun playing their own music on the school buses. You must book them!”
“Our very large group from Orlando, FL - that included over 40 kids had the best experience with Schmitty & Son's. We repeatedly changed our times, locations, etc over our 4 day stay and we were accommodated every time without problem. Our drivers were some of the nicest people we met here in MN, as well as the ladies answering our calls at all hours. We highly recommend and will continue booking with you during our annual visit. It was so nice to have stress free travel. Thank you so much!!”
Over 300 Buses
Since 1952 the Schmitty and Sons fleet has expanded from one bus to over 300 buses today, including school buses, mid-coaches, and motorcoaches.
Since 2016 the Schmitty and Sons has been an employee-owned enterprise, which means everyone has a real incentive to make the business a success.